Tuesday, April 29, 2008

19 YEARS!

As of today, I have been married for 19 years. Excatly half of my life. For those of you who aren't good at math, that means I was 19 when I got married. Gary was 25. I know, He was a "cradle robber." I thought I was so mature, looking back I realize I was still so young. BUT, I was in love so what can you do?
For our "Honeymoon" we rented a cabin at Red Canyon Lodge (not the luxury ones they have now, the rustic, build your own fire for heat cabins.) We rowed around the lake, treked around the mountain and did the usual thing that "honeymooners" do.
Our first year of marriage was spent living in a "sub par" apartment on the west side of Salt Lake.
(we refer to it now as the "ghetto") We had a drug dealer on one side of us and a fighting couple on the other side. (we heard many mugs break against the wall)
Gary worked at Woodruff Printing and I worked at the Airport Hilton. We didn't have a lot but it was enough.
I remember digging through the truck to get enough change to buy a Slurpee. Going to Temple Square all summer to keep cool because we didn't have an air conditioner. Getting out of a ticket when we were riding the motorcycle because I told the cop that we had just got married.
Showing up to sacrament Meeting late and looking up to see The Prophet, Ezra Taft Benson sitting on the stand. Having my Dad almost die after what was supposed to be a "out-patient" surgery. Getting stuck in Heber, on our way home after Thanksgiving, due to the roads being closed.
I loved that first year and I hated it. It was so hard learning to live with someone else. Sharing a bed, taking care of them, learning about each other.

Now, 19 years later I have a few tips on staying happy.

1. Put your spouse first. I know life gets crazy with jobs and kids and bills etc. but if you put each other first then everything else seems to fall into place.
2. Remember why you fell in love. No one just "falls" out of love. Refer to #1.
3. Don't let others come between you and your spouse. Refer to #1
4. Support each other in everything they do. Refer to #1
5. Don't forget to keep your Heavenly Father involved in your life.

On occasion, I have to remind myself of the things on the list. It is so easy to forget.

I am planning on many more years with "The Man of my Dreams!"

4 comments:

Kandice said...

Aww, Tara, that was so touching, seriously. Gary is a great guy, and you guys make a great couple!

Mandy said...

Way to go Tara.... that was fun to read. Good luck on many nore years to come and Happy Anniversary

Janice {Run Far} said...

Hey that was such a cute and fun post. I will always remember to refer to #1, seriuosly I agree

CAM said...

Well done Sis. we hit 15 next month and I can't frickin beleive it!

Keep it up.