Monday, May 19, 2008

Eagle Scouts

I have debated back and forth today on if I should post about this "topic." I feel that I need to say what is on my mind and see if I am the only one with these feelings. So, If I offend any one, I am sorry and if you have an opinion you would like to share, please do.
Yesterday was Stake conference. The Stake President gave a talk on being more supportive of others and looking for the good instead of the negative. (Good Talk) A few others spoke and then the Area Representative got up and spoke. He had a list of 20 things we need to do to be "successful"(or something to that effect) Some of the things on his list were prayer, FHE, Scripture study, Family Counsel, Seminary and a bunch of others.(Which, I agreed with) The one he mentioned that I felt was "Off the Mark" was being an Eagle Scout. I say this because I know of a lot of people who don't have their Eagle who are successful, hard working individuals. My husband for one. Gary graduated from Seminary, Served a Mission to Argentina, received his Bachelors and Masters degree. Has held many calling in the church and has been a great husband and father. I know that my boys (who both have not enjoyed scouting) probably won't be getting their Eagles. Does this make them less likely to succeed? Are they considered less righteous than those with their Eagle Award?

I know there are boys out there that have their Eagle because their mothers, father or leaders pretty much did their work for them. There are boys who were bribed with driver's licenses, cars or other items. There are boys who worked their hardest and earned every badge that they have. There are boys who worked hard and didn't quite get their final project done. There are boys that absolutely love to scout and those that don't but should any of them be made to feel guilty for not receiving this award?
Absolutely NOT!

Scouting is NOT a "Saving Ordinance," Shouldn't we be more focused on Spiritual growth?
I am not against scouting. It has it's good points and I have many nephews who have received this honor. I am proud of them for that and for the work that they put into getting their eagle but it isn't for everyone and I don't think that it should be considered such a big part in the church.

2 comments:

Logan & Lindy said...

Very good point! I feel the same way about a mission!!! People (wont say names) wont get over the point Logan didnt go on a mission. It is still being brought up! Get over it!!!! There are alot of very good people that didnt get an Eagle Scout or go on a mission or what ever that are very great people! It just seems so many people look at them like they are "Less" its stupid. I think you have a great point about there parents doing the work so they can be an eagle Scout! Can you tell you hit a sore spot with me!!!!!! =0)

Kandice said...

I personally know a lot of parents who "earn" their eagle scouts for their boys, just so they can brag on them. I think it is a personal choice. G.J. earned his eagle, but did not serve a mission, and he is a still a good person. Sure, getting the eagle is a great accomplishment, but not a requirement of mine by any means.