Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Grandpa Liebhardt


This past week, My Grandfather passed away.
He lived a long and productive life. (age 95)

I just wanted to say a few things about him........

He loved to visit. You would drop in for a quick visit but would end up there for hours.
He loved to fish and tell stories about his trips.
He loved a good party. We attended many birthday/Anniversary parties
(one of them just this past summer)
He was crazy about my Grandma. Gary and I thought it was funny that he called her "lover"
He loved to travel. I think Hawaii was his favorite destination.

I just want to share a few things......

As I said, my grandfather was CRAZY about my grandma, he was a romantic and wasn't afraid to show it. Well, he went into the hospital Monday (29). That night I got a call saying that the Doctor didn't think he would make it through the night. The next day we were told that he was doing better. On Wednesday(31) we found out that he really wasn't doing better and that they were keeping him alive with IVs and an oxygen mask. (he was not coherent at all)
When it was time for them to turn off his machines my Grandma went to him to tell him goodbye for the last time. He looked up at her as if he were listening to every word she said then she asked him for one last kiss. He puckered up his lips, gave her a kiss and then passed away. With his dieing breath he showed just how much he loved her. Isn't that awesome?


The other thing is more of a "funny" "weird" thing. When we were in with the family right before the casket was closed, The funeral director came over to my kids and said, "When it is time to close the casket, would you like to come help me tuck Grandpa in?" With horror in their eyes they just looked at me (I think they were so freaked out they didn't know what to say) I said, "If you want to you can but if you don't that is fine" They just both shook their heads No and the director said "that's okay, not very many people ever want to help"
Hopefully they won't be traumatized for life! LOL

2 comments:

Kandice said...

Aww. that makes me want to cry. My grandparents are at that point right now....who knows how long it will be. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Logan & Lindy said...

It was good to see you! Wish it was for better reasons! Seriously that last kiss story makes me cry every time! So sweet! That story about tucking grandpa in is pretty funny hopefully they seriously wont be traumatized! ha ha!!