
This is the house where we lived.. We call it the "Haunted House" because weird things always happened. (the TV would turn up full blast when no body was in the room or the microwave would stop by itself, when there was still time left on the counter) weird stuff like that.At Shae's 2 week check up, her DR. thought that she was a little "pale" so he ran a red blood cell count on her. It was a little low but he said to wait and we would check it in a week.
The next week it was a little higher but still not high enough. One more week and then more tests.
4 week check, blood count 12, should be 40. I was told to get her to Primary Children's Hospital immediately. I was freaking out! Gary was in California , I had to find someone to watch Garrison, had to pack and I wasn't sure what was wrong with my baby.
Luckily my sister Tina drove up from St.George to go with me. Gary was able to get a flight into SL that evening and my sister Lesa came from Logan to pick up Garrison. Gary's family happened to be at Lagoon , so they were at the hospital before we even got there.
When we got to the hospital everyone was waiting for us. The medical staff was busy weighing, measuring, running tests. They had a super hard time getting any blood from her. They tried arms, hands, feet, any where that might have a vein. It was horrible!!! Gary and I decided that we needed to go say a prayer. We had Tina stay with Shae and we went into the back of the waiting room to say a little prayer.
We stood up, went into the hall, and my sister was there to tell us that they were able to get an I.V. started. (in her head) That is where I received my faith in prayer!
Shae spent a lot of time in the hospital. In the beginning we would have to go to PCMC . It would take 3-4 days for a full transfusion. Later, Dr. Ghaffari was able to have her blood flown into Cedar City. As she got older, we were able to take her to the oncology clinic at PCMC and have the procedure done as an outpatient . We did this 1-2 times a month for 2 1/2 years.
Shae was diagnosed with Hereditary Spherocytosis. It is a disease where her body makes misshaped red blood cells. Her spleen would recognize them as being "bad" so it would destroy her cells. Since the cells were being destroyed and her body wasn't making new cells fast enough, she needed to have help to get more cells (transfusion)
This picture was right after her spleenectomy.

This is the day she had her spleen removed. It was a rough time but it was soooo worth it. Shae never had to have another transfusion after that day. She has been real healthy too.
She will always have the disease and some side effects from it but it hasn't stopped her from being active.

Shae is an outgoing, tell it like it is person. She is sweet, quiet, rowdy, thoughtful, friendly, honest, dependable, hard working. I could go on forever. She is just a GOOD kid!!!!
She hates this time in her life. She thinks she was such a geek! Glasses & Braces!!!!! I think she was adorable!!!!!
Shae is growing up to be a beautiful girl. I'm glad I have one more year before she starts driving, dating and preparing to set out for a life away from home. I want her to know that I am proud of her. For being an example and not being afraid to stand up for what she believes in.
Shae,I Love You!
Shae is growing up to be a beautiful girl. I'm glad I have one more year before she starts driving, dating and preparing to set out for a life away from home. I want her to know that I am proud of her. For being an example and not being afraid to stand up for what she believes in.Shae,I Love You!
6 comments:
Happy B-day Shae! You are so lucky to have such great parents! Have a great day!
Shae is awesome. Thanks for raising her so well.
I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae!I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae! I love Shae!
I am so gald you posted that stuff about baby Shae. I teared up a little bit reading it. I am so glad she is so healthy and some-what normal now. Love you all!!!
Those were some great pictures, and what a great blast from the past. I am so happy she is healthy today. Happy Birthday Shae
happy b-day shae!!
Too bad I'm going to have to tell Teddy that Shae lied about her birthdate. I know he'll be furious and wish he didn't sign a million things for her or let her steal his water cup.
It was touching reading Shae's medical stories because I relate all to well to the fear of taking your child to the hospital and not knowing what to expect. Fortunately we've never had to have a surgery. It's amazing how much we can love our little girls.
Post a Comment