The other night I begrudgingly went to the Relief Society dinner. When I had signed up (a few weeks earlier) I was feeling like I needed to get back into the groove of going to activities. (In the past year or so, I have become almost non existent when it comes to attending such activities).
Well, after a LONG week of subbing and just feeling tired and run down, the time came for the dinner. I had signed up to decorate a table and bring cheese and taco shells for the meal. I hurried and made cellophane flowers, grabbed a sombrero, and a few other items and ran to the church to get my table ready only to find them all decorated. I was a bit annoyed that I had stressed over the decorations. I didn't really care though. (no big deal, I headed home to rest for an hour until it was time to go back for the dinner)
After falling asleep on the couch. I got a text from Lori asking where I was. It was already 6:30 and time for me to head back. At this point I was grumbling under my breath, wishing that I had never signed up for the food so that I could just stay home and be lazy BUT.......I got up and headed to the church.
I was groggy and feeling a little "off" but I sat and visited with the ladies in the ward. I have to admit that there are really only a handful that I ever visit with or even really know. Our ward changes so fast.
When it came time for the guest speaker, I was being grumpy, thinking that it was going to be long and boring. I just wasn't feeling it but I decided that I would listen.
The speaker was our former Bishop, Russ Pearson. He read a story about a woman who was "super" woman......she was busy with kids, church callings, letter writing, helping at school, taking care of the home....and the million of other things that mothers do. She finally got fed up and wanted to quit everything.
This was me, has been me, IS me now. *mirror* I saw a glimpse of my life as he was reading this story. I have made myself disappear. I have slowly removed myself from all the many things that bog our lives down. At one point I had even stopped going to church. I was tired, depressed and overwhelmed with life. I admit that many days I still have a lot of those feelings but now I am trying to force myself to do some of those things that I so easily stopped doing. Yes, I am back at church but sometimes it isn't easy.
How many of us get bogged down with trying to be the perfect LDS woman? Our lives have to be perfect. Our kids have to look and be perfect. Our houses have to be perfect. Our marriages have to be perfect. BUT guess what........It's impossible!!!! We can't do it all, I can't do it all.
SO......for now, I will take life one day at a time. I know that I am NOT super woman, I know that I don't have to look , act or be perfect cause believe me.......I am so far from it.
I am working on having a better attitude. Being a better person and someday being that person who has it all "together," until then.....sorry if I am distant, distracted and flaky. One doesn't change over night.
I feel the message the other night was given just for me. Am I going to get up and get moving or will I just hit the snooze button?
4 comments:
Thanks for your post. Did you happen to make it to the Women's Confrence? I feel like it was a wake up call for me as well.
Thanks for the post Tara...I don't know if you have visited my blog lately...but I just did a similar one-must be the weather right?
I hope that I get my wake up call tomorrow....and get my mood and life back in order. Good luck to you too!
Tari, I didn't go to womens conference. I totally forgot about it.
Kandice, I hope it is the weather! I am tired of feeling like this!
Thanks for the comments.
I know you don't know me very well, but I happened upon your blog tonight, and really wanted to leave a comment. I loved this post! I think there are so many of us going through similar things right now. I really truly hope for all our sakes that it is the weather. But until then, I want you to know that you are one of those people that whenever I see I can't help but smile. You brighten the world around you. I loved playing volleyball with you, because you are such a sweet person. Thanks so much for being who you are, thanks for writing this post, but most of all thanks for always bringing a smile to me.
Post a Comment